Who We Are
VISION: Every avenue of downtown Greenville connected with the good news and loved well.
MISSION: We champion the good news of Jesus, share life in small groups, and find avenues of downtown to love.
Maybe the best place to start is to explain our name: Downtown Presbyterian Church.
- Our reason for existing is not simply to “have church” the way we like or primarily to have our needs met. We exist to be the body of Christ in downtown Greenville.
- We want visitors with little or no church background to find our worship respectful of them, and engaged with the real world. We want visitors and members from churched backgrounds to find our worship reverent, substantive, and beneficial.
- We are a church committed to downtown Greenville. We want to serve Greenville by participating in the renewal of its heart — not just the geographic one, but its collective heart that needs the good news of Jesus Christ.
- Not all of our church members live downtown (although more and more do). We commit, though, to worshiping downtown, striving to meet and engage those who work and live downtown, and praying for this unique part of the Upstate.
- We are not making up our beliefs as we go. Though the process of learning and growing is lifelong, we have rootedness in our beliefs, not only through the ancient creeds, but also through our church’s doctrinal commitments, the Westminster Confession of Faith and Catechisms.
- We are not autonomous. We have accountability, through our denomination — the Presbyterian Church in America — at both a regional level (presbytery) and a national level (general assembly).